4.11.2011

evidence: i was there...

I am our family's photographer, historian and keeper of visual memories.  My camera is as close as one can get to an extension of my hand.  It is a tool for capturing moments, for creating a timeline, a legacy, a footprint in time. A tool that has stretched my skills and my desire to learn.  The images that are generated are a source of pride.  

But, it is a tool that comes with consequences. 

Uploading pictures and putting together photo orders, scrapbook pages, digital photo books and our Project Life albums I have to search for evidence that I am a part of my own life.  My face rarely appears in our photos.  I stand behind the camera documenting special moments and everyday life but, I rarely hand it off to be a part of the resulting images.

True, I'm not generally crazy about photos of myself but, I have this nagging little voice that tells me George will look through our albums and his scrapbook pages one day and say, "Where were you, Mama?" Knife through heart.

So, I am relinquishing the camera.  Turning it over to my husband to snap a few shots of us at play, at events, in daily life, at the park on a weekday evening just because. 

Thank you to my husband for providing evidence that I was there.  A part of our life.  Not, just living it through the lens. And doing it brilliantly from his own perspective. <3

6 comments:

Unknown said...

so, so true :) I love the last picture - G is having a blast!

Anonymous said...

I love his cheeks!

Sara said...

Beautiful!

Jenn said...

so true. As I sort through my own pictures I struggle to find ones of myself. What a great picture of you and G!

Kristi said...

I'm rarely in any of my photos anymore either :(

Laura said...

Very true! There are very few of me with Hal when she was little and even NOW I have to make an effort to hand the camera to someone for pictures.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails