3.29.2009

it smells SO good in here...

Today, I played domestic goddess...

Laundry
Changed the bed
Baked a cake for book club tomorrow night
Baked banana bread from scratch (!)
Cooked a dinner of pork tenderloin, sauteed apples, baked potato and caesar salad

...and lived to tell the tale and post a recipe!

Home baked banana bread was both a staple and a treat in my house growing up. My sister and I watched and waited for the bananas sitting on the counter to turn just a little too ripe to eat straight out of the peel, knowing the delicious bread was to follow. Then, of course, came the argument of whether mom would add raisins (my favorite) or chocolate chips (my sister's choice). While DH and I were visiting my parents last weekend, I typed up several recipes to take with me...including this one. A great excuse to pull out Lucy, my beloved red KitchenAid mixer and a nice way to treat my husband to a baked good that didn't start with a box (no offense, Betty!).

Mom's Banana Bread
Yield: 1 loaf

1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour
2 ripe bananas, sliced

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan.
Put all ingredients into mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until thoroughly combined.
Pour into prepared pan; bake 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Cool slightly before removing from pan.

* I added the following ingredients to the basic recipe today:
1 tsp. cinnamon (just because)
1/4 c. raisins (my own fave)
1/4 c.white chocolate chips (DH's request)

Feel free to experiment with your own favorites - just thrown them right in to the mix - and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Meg said...

mmmmmmmm that sounds sooo good!!! I may have to try this, DH loves banana bread!!!

nfaband said...

Sounds yummy ... my mom used to put in chopped dates, gosh I sure miss her banana date bread.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails